Mainstream hospital services remain free; Management privatised

Fiji Hospital Project CEO Paul Dyer speaks at the Fiji Medical Association conference at the Lautoka Hospital yesterday. Seated behind him is FMA secretary Dr Alipate Vakamocea. Picture: FELIX CHAUDHARY

PATIENTS seeking medical treatment at the Lautoka and Ba hospitals will continue to enjoy free treatment after the private-public-partnership arrangement is in place, says Fiji Hospital Project CEO Paul Dyer.

He made the comment while making a presentation on an overview of the partnership to Fiji Medical Association members at the Lautoka Hospital yesterday.

“Private-public-partnership means something different to everybody,” he said.

“The important thing for people to know is that only the management is being privatised.

“The hospitals remain public health facilities and they will continue to be.

“No one will pay any more for any service than they are paying now and that is how it is going to be in the future.

“All the mainstream services remain free and that is how it is going to remain.

“Some services that patients are paying for now, that will continue — with the money going to Government, not to us.”

Aspen Medical has been granted a contract to revamp, refurb, operate and maintain the Lautoka and Ba hospitals under a private-public-partnership with the Fijian Government.

Aspen Medical Fiji has established Health Care Fiji in which it has a 20 per cent stake with the remaining 80 per cent owned by Fiji National Provident Fund.

More Stories