UBP seals first sponsorship agreement with FNU
3 August, 2018, 1:00 pm
THE United Blind Persons of Fiji (UBP) will host its inaugural Disability Gala Awards Nite 2018 on October 27 this year.
The Fiji National University (FNU) became the first organisation to confirm its sponsorship for the event by sponsoring the Student of the Year category and presenting a cheque worth $5000 for the catergory, which is one of seven awards that will be up for grabs on the evening.
FNU vice chancellor Professor Nigel Healey said they were pleased to be associated with organisations like UBP because it was important to ensure that tertiary education was inclusive.
“Too often, we are immersed in our own worlds. We have to become more responsible and as Fiji’s national university, I believe that it is important that we take the lead in such initiatives,” Professor Healey said.
Nominees for the Student of the Year will be considered under the following criteria:
· Has to be a student attending any of the three universities in Fiji and living with a disability;
· Needs to have completed 80 per cent of his or her course and is on his/her final year of studies/attachment;
· Has been consistent and is self-motivated to succeed;
· Is actively involved in other extra-curricular activities apart from academic work;
· Has shown remarkable endurance and fortitude to succeed against all odds;
· Has participated at university activities and functions; and
· Has joined and has been actively involved in any university student committee.