Trump star vandalised
28 October, 2016, 12:00 am
LOS ANGELES — Donald Trump’s star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame was defaced by a vandal wielding a sledgehammer and a pickaxe on Wednesday in an act captured on video, police said.
Los Angeles police expect to arrest someone for the vandalism, which left Mr Trump’s name scratched out of the star, the emblem in the middle dislodged and chips missing. A video posted at Deadline.com, a Hollywood media industry website, showed a man wearing a hard hat and reflective vest swinging a sledgehammer and pickaxe in the pre-dawn darkness.
The area had been cordoned off with traffic barriers and cones, giving it the appearance of a legitimate work site. The Republican presidential nominee, real estate developer and reality TV star has faced several large protests during his campaign appearances in California, where polls show him far behind Democratic presidential nominee Hillary Clinton.
The former host of the NBC show “The Apprentice,” Mr Trump received his Walk of Fame star in 2007.
Los Angeles-based City News Service reported a man identifying himself as James Lambert Otis said he damaged the installation “to make a point.”
City News reported the man said he had family members who were victims of sexual assault and had intended to remove the star, and auction it off to benefit women who have alleged Mr Trump groped them.