‘This is an emergency in China’ says WHO, as virus death toll rises to 18

Dr Maria D Van Kerkhove, Head AI Emerging Diseases and Zoonoses Unit at WHO speaks during a news conference following the second meeting of the International Health Regulations (IHR) Emergency Committee for Pneumonia due to the Novel Coronavirus 2019-nCoV in Geneva, Switzerland January 23, 2020. Christopher Black/WHO/Handout via REUTERS

GENEVA/BEIJING (Reuters) – The World Health Organization (WHO) called a new coronavirus that has killed 18 people in China and infected around 650 globally “an emergency in China” on Thursday, but stopped short of declaring the epidemic of international concern. Chinese state television said 634 cases had been confirmed so far. China’s National Health Commission […]

Continue reading this article with a Fiji Times online membership.

More Stories