Teenager released as investigations carry on
30 September, 2014, 12:00 am
POLICE have interviewed and released a 16-year-old driver who was involved in an accident at Naselesele on Taveuni over the weekend.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro yesterday said the teenager was released as investigations continued.
“We are also yet to conduct the post-mortem examination of the 15-year-old deceased who was a passenger in the vehicle,” she said.
“But as for the driver, he has been interviewed and released awaiting further investigations.
“It is alleged the suspect lost control of the vehicle while trying to overtake another vehicle along the North Coastal Road causing it to veer off the road.”
It was earlier reported the suspect and another 15-year-old passenger escaped injuries while the victim sustained serious injuries and was airlifted to the Labasa Hospital.
The victim later passed away last Saturday morning.
The road death toll stands at 38 compared with 30 for the same period last year.