Suspect in Port Denarau discovery discharged; Border police investigates
5 July, 2018, 4:45 pm
FIJIAN Police are now questioning the second suspect alleged to have been involved in the unlawful importation of illicit drugs and ammunition that were found on a yacht at Port Denarau in Nadi on June 22.
Police spokesperson Ana Naisoro said the 45-year-old man had been discharged from the Lautoka hospital today.
She said the suspect was now being questioned by Border Police.
Australian national Yvette Nikolic who is also a suspect in relation to the same discovery had made a number of appearances in court, the latest yesterday in the High Court in Lautoka.
She is charged with one count of unlawful possession of illicit drugs in relation to the discovery of drugs, arms and ammunition on board the same yacht – Shenanigans – at Port Denarau.
Ms Nikolic is alleged to have been part of the crew of the Shenanigans that allegedly tried to import 12.9kilograms of cocaine, 34.4grams of methamphetamine and cocaine tablets with an estimated value between $20million and $30million.
She has been further remanded and her case has been adjourned to July 24 for further disclosures to be filed by State lawyers.
(Background reports contributed Timoci Vula)