State to rely on caution interviews
3 July, 2019, 2:05 pm
THE State will be relying on the caution interviews of two men accused of murdering 36-year-old Filipe Loloma last year in Kadavu. Apisai Lomani Jr and Leone Naisake appeared before judge Justice Riyaz Hamza charged with one count of murder.
Both men are alleged to have murdered Loloma on December 26, 2018, at Sinusevou settlement on Kadavu after a drinking party.
Mr Lomani is also charged with one count of unlawful cultivation of illicit drugs.
State lawyer Unaisi Tamanikaiyaroi informed the court on the last occasion State had sought time to file additional information and statements but until now they were not able to obtain these additional disclosures.
Defence lawyer for Mr Lomani, Barbara Malimali, informed the court there were no admissions in her client’s caution interview and they were not challenging the caution interview statement.
She told the court that all witnesses in the case were on Kadavu and police had to go to Kadavu and take their statements.
Defence lawyer for Mr Naisake Filimoni Vosarogo said they would probably challenge the caution interview statement.
Justice Hamza gave the State until July 17 to sort out and finalise additional disclosures and three weeks’ time for defence to file their voir dire grounds.
Mr Lomani had his bail extended while Mr Naisake was further remanded.
The case has been adjourned to September 2.