Sections of Queen Elizabeth Drive closed to motorists

The road closure set up on Queen Elizabeth Drive from the Vuya Road end. Picture: SUPPLIED/FRA

Members of the public are advised of continuing road works along Queen Elizabeth Drive and changes to the local area traffic management.

As such, motorists are advised to make necessary changes to their travel plans accordingly.

The Fiji Roads Authority has also advised pedestrians to use designated footpaths when traversing between Muanikau Road intersection to Ratu Sukuna Road intersection along QED.

Motorists are advised that:

  • QED will be closed between Muanikau Road intersection and Ratu Sukuna Road intersection from 7am to 7pm, depending on tide until January 24;
  • All traffic travelling from Suva to Laucala Bay via QED will detour through Ratu Sukuna Road and Muanikau Road;
  • All traffic travelling from Laucala Bay to Suva via QED will detour through Muanikau Road and Ratu Sukuna Road;
  • China Club restaurant patrons, Vama Law clients, Chinese Embassy officials, visitors and residents living between Ratu Sukuna and Kumi Street are permitted through site from Charlton Avenue;
  • FNU Nasese Campus, PSC and all residents living between Kumi Street and Vuya Road are permitted access from Kumi Street and or Vuya Road junctions; and
  • Veiuto Primary School, Corpus Christi, Sacred Heart College, Stella Marists Primary School, Pacific Regional Seminary and residents are permitted through site from Vuya Road and or Muanikau Road.

FRA chief executive officer Kamal Prasad said traffic controllers would be stationed at critical locations to guide traffic and members of the public.

He advised drivers to maintain a temporary 30km/h speed limit when travelling through the site and the detour.

He said bridge works were at 60 per cent complete.

“For Area 1 Road Works (from Ratu Sukuna junction to Vuya Road junction), we are at 70 per cent completion, the remaining 30 per cent is on pavement works and service line connections to the adjacent residences,” Mr Prasad said.

“Services relocation and drainage works have commenced on Area 2 (from Vuya Road junction to Muanikau Road junction).

“The designs for the Area 3 (from Muanikau Road junction to Laucala Bay Road junction) is being finalised now for implementation in July 2022.”

The project is anticipated to be completed by the end of December this year.

More Stories