Qiliho’s response for interview: ‘Wrong paper’
14 October, 2019, 9:23 am
POLICE Commissioner Brigadier General Sitiveni Qiliho last week dismissed a request from The Fiji Times for an interview with an abrupt, “wrong paper”.
He made the comment after being approached by reporters from this newspaper for an interview during the reception of the Fiji Day celebration at Albert Park in Suva last Thursday.
The reporters had approached the police chief for an interview about a case involving a 16-year-old boy who was allegedly taken in for questioning last month by two men claiming to be military personnel.
Meanwhile, in an interview with this newspaper at the same reception, Defence Minister Inia Seruiratu said he had not been briefed about the incident.
He said he had just arrived into the country and had yet to receive information about the case.
“Go and ask the commander. I don’t deal with the day to day activity of the military and police,” Mr Seruiratu said.
A relative of the young boy who spoke to this newspaper on the condition of anonymity last month claimed the interrogation was linked to a social media posting of a picture which contained expletives directed at Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama. Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) Commander Rear Admiral Viliame Naupoto earlier told The Fiji Times that he was also unaware of the incident as he was away overseas when the alleged incident happened.
However, in response to queries on September 25, RFMF chief of staff officer for the International Defence Corporation, Lieutenant Commander Saula Tuilevuka said an investigation was in progress.