President receives Queens Batton in Suva
23 November, 2017, 12:00 am
IT was a historic moment for Fiji after president Jioji Konrote officially received the Queen’s Baton for the 2018 Commonwealth Games at the Borron House in Samabula, Suva yesterday.
The baton rely was launched by the Head of the Commonwealth, Queen Elizabeth II, at the Buckingham Palace in England on March 13.
“After Fiji was suspended from the Commonwealth, this is the first time the queen’s baton relay has come back to Fiji after about 12 years,” Commonwealth Games Federation regional vice-president Oceania Hugh Graham said.
“It is quite humbling as a Oceania region vice-president to bring it to Fiji.
“From the journey, it is obvious that from the response from the kids, mothers and the all young people they are happy that the queen’s baton rely is here.”
The baton will be travelling for 388 days throughout Commonwealth nations and territories before the Commonwealth Games which will start in Melbourne, Australia on April 4.
“We are looking at good things in terms of Fiji’s performance and it has already been demonstrated with the rugby 7s last year and the rugby league,” he said.