Police charge second suspect in $6.5m drug haul
20 July, 2015, 12:00 am
A 35-YEAR-OLD man from Nadi is the second suspect to be charged with one count of unlawful transfer and supply of illicit drugs in relation to the discovery of $6.5million worth of methamphetamine last week.
Police spokeswoman Ana Naisoro confirmed the man was charged by police following investigations.
The suspect was arrested with a 31-year-old self-employed man who appeared in the Nadi Magistrates Court last Friday, facing the same charge.
The 35-year-old will appear in the Nadi Magistrates Court today.
According to police, on July 13, the two accused were alleged to have been waiting for a consignment containing the illicit drugs that was arriving from Los Angeles International Airport.
In a statement, police chief of intelligence and investigations Assistant Commissioner Police Henry Brown said it contained a pressure cooker that contained 20 packages of methamphetamine following tests.
He said in a joint operation with Australian and American police agencies, the cargo was allowed to leave Los Angeles in the hope of finding the recipients.