Planned FTUC protest postponed
4 May, 2019, 9:39 am
THE planned protest yesterday and the march by Fiji Trades Union Congress (FTUC) affiliate members have been postponed until further notice.
The decision was reached after an emergency meeting of the board members of FTUC on Thursday afternoon.
In a statement issued at 9.29pm on Thursday, the FTUC national executive board confirmed they came to a decision to defer the planned May 3 national protest and the planned May 4 march in Nadi until further notice.
The board said they were confident that the FTUC had already received huge media attention that had been initially anticipated both locally and internationally.
“The FTUC will continue to lobby for the six issues that have been part of its agenda for the past years,” the board said in a statement.
“The board also acknowledges the immense support from local and international institutions, affiliates of the FTUC, the international trade union fraternity, civil society organisations, and the general public, well-wishers and the legal fraternity.
“All affiliates and their members are strongly urged to take note of the deferment of the two planned activities and await further advice.”
Meanwhile, FTUC national secretary Felix Anthony was released from police custody at the Criminal Investigations Department (CID) at 4.05pm yesterday without any charges.
Mr Anthony was released after spending two nights in custody.