Pacific Nations Cup: Injuries force changes to ‘Ikale Tahi line up
8 June, 2018, 1:38 pm
SUVA – Tonga’s head coach Toutai Kefu has been forced to make two injury-related changes to the squad for Saturday’s Pacific Nations Cup match against the Georgians in Fiji.
Flyhalf George Taina is replaced by utility back James Faiva, from the Tonga A.
Hooker Sione Lea is replaced by Prop Ben Tameifuna from Racing 92.
The changes came after Kefu announced his Ikale Tahi 30 man squad on May 21.
TRU said this tournament is a key preparation step towards the World Cup in 2019.
Siale Piutau will captain the side with the six uncapped players selected for the campaign.
Four new staff also join the team, among them former All Black Pita Alatini joins as Assistant Coach and former ‘Ikale Tahi captain ‘Inoke Afeaki joins the staff as Team Manager for the tour and will be assisted by Tony Alatini.
‘Ikale Tahi lineup to play Georgia on Saturday:
- Siegfried Fisi’ihoi (Stade Francais) – Falaleu and ‘Utui (Vava’u)
- Paula Ngauamo (Agen)
- David Lolohea (West Harbour Pirates) – Ha’asini
- Leva Fifita (Waikato) – Neiafu
- Joe Tu’ineau (DAX) – Fasi Mo e Afi
- Dan Falefa, (US Colomiers) – Kolomotu’a and Kolovai
- Fotu Lokotui (Countries Manukau) – Longoteme
- Nasi Manu (Treviso) – Vaini and Ha’ateiho
- Sonatane Takulua (Newcastle Falcons) – Lapaha, Ma’ufanga and Niuatoputapu
- Kurt Morath (Utah Warriors) – Leimatu’a
- Penikolo Latu (Waikato University) – Mataika
- Siale Piutau (Bristol Bears) – Kolofo’ou and Folaha
- Nafi Tu’itavake (Northampton Saints) – Kolomotu’a and Malapo
- David Halaifonua (Gloucester) – Fatumu, Tukulalo and Houma
- Sione Fifita (Counties Manukau) – Hihifo
- Sefo Sakalia (Rugby Steaua) – Ma’ufanga and Nomuka
- David Fe’ao (Narbonne) – Kolovai
- Ben Tameifuna (Racing 92) – Pea
- Valentino Mapapalangi (Leicester Tigers) – Holonga and Ha’alalo
- Mike Faleafa (Perpignan) – Kolomotu’a and Kolovai
- Suke Tu’umoto’oa (NEC Green Rockets) – Houma
- Latiume Fosita (Counties Manukau) – Haveluloto and Felemea
- Viliami Lolohea (Tasman) – Navutoka and Niuatoputapu