No loss of jobs, medics assured

A frontal view of the Lautoka Hospital. Picture: FT FILE/REINAL CHAND

NO healthcare worker at the Lautoka Hospital will lose their job as a result of the private-public-partnership between Aspen Medical and Fijian Government .

This was the assurance given by Fiji Hospital Project CEO Paul Dyer to members of the Fiji Medical Association yesterday as he explained the partnership would see the upgrade of the 305 bed health care facility.

“At some stage in the future, we will be offering staff who are civil servants, and that includes all the doctors and other staff as well, contracts for employment to join Health Care Fiji,” he said.

“That will mean you will cease to be a civil servant if you accept that and move into the employ of Health Care Fiji at terms and conditions and salary that are no less than what you are on now.

“If you choose not to accept that contract, then there is a guarantee from the Government that you will be relocated to another hospital.”

Mr Dyer urged the FMA members who were employed at the Lautoka and Ba hospitals to consider the offer to stay on.

“We would encourage you to stay here because it is a hospital and we need staff to operate it.

“We are going to do the best that we can to recruit as many of the existing staff as we can.”

Health Care Fiji is the company established by Aspen Medical to conduct the revamp, refurb, operations and maintenance of the Lautoka and Ba hospitals under a private-public-partnership arrangement.

Aspen will hold 20 per cent shares in the venture and the Fiji National Provident Fund will hold the remaining 80 per cent stake.

More Stories