Nauru Government could face no confidence motion

Baron Waqa Photo: UN Photo/JC McIlwaine

YAREN, 07 AUGUST 2018 (RNZ PACIFIC) – A dumped Nauru cabinet minister is said to be pushing for a no confidence vote in the Baron Waqa government.

Shadlog Bernicke was removed, with immediate effect, last week and there has still not been any explanation.

But one unconfirmed report said it was related to Bernicke’s ministerial role in granting concessions which allow private citizens to rent out their cars.

Reports on Nauru said Bernicke had so far got the backing of at least 8 MPs for a motion on no confidence – he needs 10 to topple the Waqa government.

Parliament is next due to sit on Tuesday next week.

Meanwhile, four workers for an Australian company managing refugee facilities on Nauru have been flown back to Australia without explanation.

The removals were ordered by the Nauru Government, which had the four flown off the island late last month.

Another worker was removed in the same fashion in December last year.

RNZ Pacific understands the Canstruct employees had raised concerns about the welfare of some of the inmates in the camps.

This comes as a Nauru government company prepares to take over the management of the camps in two months’ time.

The Nauru Refugee Processing Centre Corporation is reportedly set to run the facilities, paid by the Australia Government, from October.

Legislation establishing the government agency was passed last year.

This will bring to an end five years of management of the camps by Australian companies..

Some workers, who are not able to reveal their identities, had raised doubts about Nauru’s ability to provide the services required.

More Stories