Nadi man convicted of kidnapping and raping ex-girlfriend

A NADI man accused of kidnapping and raping his former girlfriend in 2017 has been convicted of the crime by the High Court in Lautoka.

According to the court, the businessman had been in a relationship with the victim for a few months before they eventually broke up.

However, the accused visited the victim at her home in Nasoso on March 3, 2017, threatening to kill her if she refused to meet him.

When the victim boarded a vehicle driven by the accused, he violently assaulted her.

The court also revealed that the victim was taken to the home of the accused where she was raped repeatedly.

The accused later agreed to take the victim to a health clinic where she pleaded with medical staff members that her life was in danger and that she was raped.

However, the victim was told that she had to report the matter to the police and that she had to go to a public hospital to get an examination.

The victim’s attempts to get help were further thwarted after people refused to help her while calling out for help.

In passing judgment, judge Justice Sunil Sharma said the┬ádefence’s┬ácase of denial was implausible and untenable considering the totality of the evidence.

News headlines:

 

More Stories