Mum, son plan to flee home

Anil Maharaj with his mother Chandra Mati inside one of the ransacked rooms Picture: ANISH CHAND

A RAKIRAKI mother and son have decided to abandon their house after robbers invaded their house for the second time in two months.

Chandra Mati, 70, and Anil Maharaj, 40, said they now feared for their safety and had decided to vacate their house at Nakorokula.

“We will give the house and the sugar farm for share-farming,” said Ms Mati.

“It’s not safe for us to live here anymore and I am scared.”

In the first attack on October 29, two men had forcefully entered their house, took away valuables and the family vehicle.

“On Wednesday (last week), I took out money from the bank to pay my labourers and I had a feeling we would be attacked again,” said Mr Maharaj.

They decided to stay at a relative’s house and when they went home on Thursday, they found the house ransacked.

“We have stayed here for more than 60 years and I don’t know why this is happening.

“My mother and I have no other choice but to leave this place because the robbery has affected the health of my mother.”

Mr Maharaj claimed he accompanied his brother and reported the matter at the Rakiraki Police Station on Thursday morning and that police accompanied him to his house to investigate.

Police spokeswoman Savaira Gonedua, after checking with Rakiraki police, told this newspaper no such case was reported.

More Stories