MP Kramer on PNG newspaper boycott
16 July, 2018, 10:00 pm
PORT MORESBY, 16 JULY 2018 (LOOP PNG) – Last week marks the end of the third week of the newspaper boycott campaign in Papua New Guinea
Madang MP Bryan Kramer, who is behind the protest, said members of the public have asked for an extension to the campaign, which will now run for three more weeks.
This campaign aims to hold the media accountable to reporting factual and unbiased news. In a way, the two dailies are being forced to ‘clean up’ their act.
Kramer said as a member of the Opposition, he has experienced first-hand that even though they send in stories to especially the print media, they do not get the same attention as the government.
“Some journalists are honest in reporting; they submit their stories in and it gets thrown in the bin because at the level of the editor, at the level of management, they are being manipulated and controlled by political interests,” said the MP.
In Madang, he has engaged up to 30 youths to carry out awareness, discouraging the public from buying newspapers.
The youths are stationed at every selling point, and are also tracking sales by running a tally of actual newspapers sold.
“On Saturday I’m flying to Lae to sit down with concerned citizens who have shared the same concerns.
“The people of Kokopo are coming in strong, from the reports we are getting, Hagen, Goroka, how many centres I need to go to then I will visit, get on the streets and speak to the people.”
Kramer says according to tallies received from youths in Madang, newspaper sales have been reduced by 51 per cent.