Man, 65, on rape charge
24 January, 2018, 12:00 am
A 65-YEAR-OLD man facing one count of rape and two counts of sexual assault of his granddaughter will today take the stand to give evidence.
Prosecution yesterday called its final witness, Dr Elvira Ongbit, who had medically examined the victim.
Dr Ongbit said she examined the girl who is now 10-years-old on March 18, last year. The alleged offence took place between 2012 and 2014, in Nasinu.
In cross examination, defence lawyer Filimoni Vosarogo asked Dr Ongit if she was aware that the victim was involved in an almost fatal accident in June 2013, after which she spent four months at the CWM Hospital.
Dr Ongbit said she was not made aware of that accident.
Mr Vosarogo then asked if it was possible for hymeneal breakages to be caused by a fall or an impact.
Dr Ongbit responded saying hymeneal laceration was caused when something or an object went through the vaginal opening.
She said if there was an injury sustained during the incident to the victim’s vaginal opening then hymeneal laceration would have been possible.
Dr Ongbit said during her medical examination she did not find any other injuries except for the hymeneal laceration.