London and Paris 7s tournaments postponed
21 March, 2020, 10:28 am
The HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series London and Paris 7s tournaments have been postponed until September.
“Taking the appropriate measures that mitigate the spread of COVID-19 Coronavirus in line with government and public health agency responses and advice is paramount. This has underpinned our decision, taken in consultation with our unions, to suspend these World Rugby tournament activities with immediate effect, including the cancellation of the World Rugby U20 Championship following conversations with our friends at the Italian federation,” said World Rugby Chairman Sir Bill Beaumont in a released statement this morning.
Changes to the World Rugby schedule include:
- The men’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series tournaments in London and Paris will be postponed, provisionally until September
- The women’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Series tournament in Langford has been postponed until later in the year
- The final men’s HSBC World Rugby Sevens Challenger Series event has been postponed until later in the year
- Some Rugby World Cup 2021 and 2023 qualifying events have been postponed.
In addition, the following event has been cancelled:
- The World Rugby U20 Championship 2020, scheduled to be hosted in northern Italy in late June and July, has been cancelled following detailed consultation with the Federazione Italiana Rugby
Further World Rugby tournament-related updates will follow in due course.