Kidnapping claims false, says Police

Picture: FILE

ALL three cases of alleged kidnapping reported to Police are false.

Fiji Police Force confirmed this saying that due to the seriousness of the allegations, all investigation files would be sent to the Director of Public Prosecutions Office for their independent legal advice.

Police earlier concluded an alleged abduction claim by a 13-year-old boy in Saweni, Lautoka as “false” following their investigations. Police Commissioner Brigadier General Sitiveni Qiliho had said that upon further questioning by Police, the victim openly admitted to falsifying the information given to police due to personal reasons. The boy had claimed that he was allegedly drugged and abducted by a group of men in early March.

In another case, a nine-year-old boy’s parents of Nabua, Rewa came out publicly early last month claiming that their son was allegedly abducted outside their home around 5am on April 4. The boy claimed that two men had grabbed him from outside their home, covered his face and mouth and took him in a van but he managed to escape. Police said then that a thorough investigation would be conducted to verify the claims of abduction but also stressed that people must not speculate or create unnecessary panic on unsubstantiated information that was yet to be verified by investigators.

Just last week, Police in Valelevu, received another report of an alleged abduction of an 11-year-old student. The student claimed that she saw four children tied up in a white van during an alleged kidnapping attempt on Thursday morning in Valelevu, Nasinu.

P

More Stories