Investigation for Air Niugini incident to take 12 months

Boaters on Weno island in Chuuk, in the Federated States of Micronesia respond to the crash of Air Niugini Flight 73 earlier this morning in Chuuk. All 46 people aboard are safe, said airport Manager Jimmy Emilio. Picture: Courtesy of Bill Davis through PACNEWS

PORT MORESBY, 08 OCTOBER 2018 (THE NATIONAL) – Papua New Guinea Civil Aviation Minister Alfred Manase says investigation into the crash of an Air Niugini aircraft in the Federated States of Micronesia will take 12 months.

Officers from the Accident Investigation Commission had travelled to FSM to help investigators there piece together what caused the aircraft to crash-land in the sea near Chuuk international airport.

One passenger from Indonesia died. The other 34 passengers and 12 crew members survived.

During a service in Port Moresby on Friday, deputy airline chairman Andrew Nui wished a quick recovery for the passengers being treated in hospital for their injuries.

Meanwhile, the body of the Indonesian has been flown into Port Moresby with the cockpit recorders.

FSM’s chief investigator Massy Halbert said in Port Moresby the body would be flown to Indonesia this week.

Halbert said Air Niugini would make the necessary arrangements to repatriate his body to his family in Indonesia.

The cockpit recorders retrieved by US Navy divers last Friday would be analysed in Port Moresby.

Halbert said a preliminary report would be ready by the end of this month.

More Stories