Inquiry into video
20 August, 2014, 12:00 am
THE Fiji Navy has confirmed that the unverified video posted on social networking site YouTube showing two men allegedly shot to death at sea does not involve Fiji citizens.
Navy Commander Captain John Fox told this newspaper yesterday that they were able to verify that the two men in the video were not Fijians.
“We are aware of the video and we conducted our investigations,” he said.
“I can’t say how we were able to verify the information but I can confirm that they are not Fiji citizens.”
The Fiji Police Force also confirmed they were investigating the video.
Police spokesman Inspector Atunaisa Sokomuri said on Monday night police needed to verify all information before releasing any further details.
“It’s a very sensitive matter and we want to verify the allegations first before we release anything,” he said.
“All we can say at this point is that we are launching our investigations.”
So far, no reports of missing Fijian fishermen have been reported to police.
The 10 minute 27 second video was posted on Monday afternoon by YouTube user “Live Leeak”.
Titled Fishing vessel Fijian crew gettin shot, outside Fiji waters, the video shows two men desperately clinging to a piece of wreckage while trying to dodge bullets shot by a group of men aboard a larger vessel.
The person behind the camera then turns to the group on the ship, clearly showing Asian men who also brandished mobile phones and were documenting the incident.
Overseas reports stated that New Zealand authorities have also been alerted to the incident while YouTube has been contacted to assist in identifying the person who uploaded the video.