Hurricanes blow away Waratahs, Taqele scores

The Hurricanes beat the Waratahs 38-28 after a first half master-class at Westpac Stadium in Wellington, claiming their fifth win of the campaign.

Ngani Laumape scored a double as the home team blew away the visiting Australian side to lead 21-0 inside 11 minutes.

Beauden Barrett’s excellent display was soured when he was sent off — for two yellow cards — late in the second half. Him and brother Jordie, who scored 13 points, both got on the scoreboard with a try apiece.

The Waratahs had no answers to the Barretts as Beauden pulled the strings and Jordie executed the attacks with precision, to give the Kiwis a five tries to one, 33-7 halftime lead.

The Aussies hit back in the second stanza, scoring three tries to one, but the home team would not be denied, claiming a 10-point victory at the Cake Tin, stopping the Tah’s from getting a last-ditch losing bonus-point.

The game started at a ferocious pace by the home team as they ran in three tries in quick succession. The Sydney team did not know what had hit them; they were all over the place as the Canes spread the ball all over the park, running the visitors ragged.

It started when Reed Prinsep collected a pass from Beauden Barrett in the second minute. The All black standoff drew in three defenders as he ran across the field.

Barrett took the ball from brother Jordie Barrett after the Tahs failed to clear into touch. Prinsep took the ball to the ground, where TJ Perenara picked up, broke to the short side, drew the last defender and sent Luamape in the corner.

On six minutes Laumape intercepted Michael Wells’ poor floated pass inside the visitors’ half after Wes Goosen’s initial break.

The Waratahs saved the try the first time but not the next. The centre drew the cover defence and sent the Kiwi first-five-eight away to score.

Before the Waratahs could gather their breath, the Wellington side had crossed for their third.

From a lineout, the Hurricanes set up a driving maul. TJ Perenara threw a double-skip pass to Beauden Barrett.

He took the ball to the gain line and sent a wide pass to his brother, on the run, who rounded Taqele Naiyaravoro with ease to score near the posts. Naiyaravoro was caught in no man’s land, 21-0 up in a flash.

The Tahs managed to pull a try back of their own at the end of the first quarter.

It all came from a botched lineout by the Hurricanes after the sin-binning of Beauden Barrett.

The Waratahs took a quick tap and set up a maul. Sekope Kepu’s final offload to Ned Hanigan saw the flanker barge over from close range to get the visitors on the board. On the half hour, Naiyaravoro was, again, caught in no man’s land. Another skip pass from Beauden Barrett, who was back on the field, led to another score in the corner.

TJ Perenara missed the conversion after Jordie Barrett was off for a head injury assessment.

More Stories