Health packed with ice in a glass
19 February, 2016, 12:00 am
YOU may have seen your co-worker downing a glass of green liquid pulp and wondering why would any one drink that.
Or someone may have posted on social media on why you should keep a glass of smoothie at work, in school, in church or at home, every day to keep you at bay during this hot season.
Fruit, undeniably healthy in its whole-food form, is immensely more palatable to many of us when sliced up and pulverised into a smoothie.
Well, these green smoothies are a quick and easy way to get large amounts of fruits and leafy greens into your daily diet — and give your body the the best, fresh and tasty nutritions.
And I promise you they are tasty!
“Drinking smoothies, especially for breakfast, is one of the easiest ways to add some fruit to your diet,” says Joseph Price, PhD, a health economist and associate professor at Brigham Young University.
He’s also one of the few researchers who’s looked at the impact of smoothies.
In a 2015 study, Mr Price and his colleague found that only 4 per cent of children eating a school breakfast ate a serving of fruit. When the school offered morning smoothies, that number jumped to 45 per cent.
If you are in the urban areas, trying out this nutritional drink should not be a problem, especially when fruits and greens are abundantly available at various municipal market.
Some people may still be trying to figure out what exactly is in there to enjoy from a glass of smoothy.
Well, it’s a pretty simple (and tasty) combo: leafy greens + fruit + liquid-base and maybe some fancy superfood toppings.
It may seem like a crazy diet fad, but honestly once you try a green smoothie, you’ll most likely become insanely addicted .
And there is nothing better than downing 2 cups of spinach a day in a delightful fashion.
The website www.simplesmoothie.com also have great ideas of what can be inside your smoothies.
And if you want to get all scientific, dark leafy greens contain high quality amino acids, important minerals, vitamins, antioxidants and beneficial phytonutrients. Phytonutrients are plant-based chemicals that support your immune system, improve health and longevity, and may reduce life- threatening diseases. I know that’s a mouthful, so that’s why when you hang out with friends, colleagues and families, try to keep the green smoothie lifestyle simple and fun.
Because at the end of the day we will all agree that fruits and vegetables are good for everyone..
Five reasons we love green smoothies:
1. Natural energy booster to keep a little pep in your step in the morning (and during those afternoon slumps).
2. Natural weight loss can be a happy side effect of gulping these in place of a typical breakfast (just make sure to include healthy fats and protein to make it a more complete meal).
3. Stay healthy all year long. Simple way to boost your immune system when you’re feeling under the weather.
4. Packed with disease — fighting antioxidants. The phytonutrients in leafy greens boost your body’s immune system and keep it functioning properly.
5. Hands down- The best fast food. It takes less than 5 minutes to make a green smoothie (and clean up!) and they’re super easy to take on the go- especially when you prepare ahead.