Health ministry declares end to dengue fever outbreak

While the ministry acknowledged members of the general public for their tremendous effort and support in the fight against dengue fever, it urged everyone to continue to remain active in protecting themselves and their families against dengue fever. Picture: FT FILE

FIJI’S Ministry of Health and Medical Services has announced the end of the dengue fever outbreak that was declared earlier this year in Macuata, Nadi, Ba and Suva.
In a Government statement, the ministry said there had been a decrease in the number of dengue fever cases recorded nationally in the last six weeks.
It stated that the number of cases in all divisions was now at levels that were expected during this time of the year.
From January 1 to May 31 early this year, there were 3437 confirmed cases of dengue fever recorded in the country; and four people died from dengue fever during this period.
Of the total confirmed dengue cases recorded, 1242 were from the Northern Division, 1315 from the Western Division, 865 from the Central Division and 15 cases recorded for the Eastern Division.
The ministry said that at the peak of the outbreak, an average of 236 cases was recorded nationally a week.
And in the last four weeks, the ministry recorded an average of 59 cases a week, which was within the expected range of cases for this time of the year.
While the ministry acknowledged members of the general public for their tremendous effort and support in the fight against dengue fever, it urged everyone to continue to remain active in protecting themselves and their families against dengue fever.

More Stories