Harry and Meghan Fiji visit: Duke and Duchess look forward to meeting many Fijians
23 October, 2018, 9:44 pm
THE Duke and Duchess of Sussex, Prince Harry and Meghan Markle are excited about their three-day Fiji tour which started today.
Speaking after their traditional welcome at Suva’s Albert Park, Prince Harry said they were looking forward to meeting as many Fijians as possible.
“Duchess and I are looking forward to meeting as many of you in the next few days in celebrating the length and close friendship between Fiji and the United Kingdom,” Prince Harry said.
Tomorrow (Wednesday, October 24, 2018):
· His Royal Highness will lay a wreath at the War Memorial, and meet a number of Fijian war veterans, some of whom served with the British Armed Forces;
· Their Royal Highnesses will then visit the University of the South Pacific campus in Suva, where they will observe a cultural performance on the effects of climate change, before meeting students studying subjects from agriculture to women’s development;
· The Duke will make a short speech in his capacity as Commonwealth Youth Ambassador and The Duchess will say a few words;
· From here, Their Royal Highnesses’ program will split – The Duke will travel to Colo-i-Suva Forest Park, and The Duchess to the British High Commissioner’s Residence.
· At Colo-i-Suva, Prince Harry will plant a tree and unveil a plaque to mark its dedication. He will also meet with school children, student conservators, representatives from sustainable tourism industries, and local landowners and villagers to see how the rainforest impacts upon their education and livelihoods;
· The Duchess will attend a morning tea at the British High Commissioner’s residence to showcase women’s organisations which operate throughout Fiji;
· The Duchess will then travel to the Suva Market to meet some of the female vendors who have become empowered through the UN Market Project for women.
Thursday, October 25:
· The Duke and Duchess will travel to Nadi where they will attend a special event at Nadi International Airport.