Government investigates funding of TV platform
25 March, 2023, 10:30 am
Government is investigating the establishment and funding of the Walesi digital television platform, reliable sources have told this newspaper.
News of Government’s interest in Walesi was first disclosed by Sugar Minister Charan Jeath Singh while speaking in New Zealand last week and Prime Minister Sitiveni Rabuka yesterday hinted he was not happy with the “unauthorised” disclosure of information.
In a video that has gone viral on social media, Mr Singh is seen criticising the Walesi project, Radio Tarana owner and Walesi Ltd chairman Robert Khan and the previous government.
Mr Singh called on Mr Khan to disclose how Walesi’s funds were used over the past seven years, claiming $123 million in government funds had been spent on Walesi.
He also criticised the current state of the Colonial War Memorial (CWM) Hospital. Mr Rabuka said any disciplinary action taken against Mr Singh for his conduct while in New Zealand would be done face-to-face.
“I conduct disciplinary measures face-to-face and I will wait for him to come back,” Mr Rabuka said.
He said there was a code of secrecy that ministers had to abide by.
“There is an oath of secrecy that is sworn by those who are sworn into Cabinet positions.
“They have to observe that and part of it is the disclosure of Cabinet decisions, which should only be made at the authorised press conferences and press releases by authorised ministers to do that in those areas.”
Asked for comment on Monday, Walesi CEO Sanjay Maharaj referred all questions to Mr Khan who lives in New Zealand.
- Questions sent to Mr Khan via email remained unanswered when this edition went to press.