Fury set for June fight
14 April, 2018, 12:00 am
LONDON – Former world heavyweight champion Tyson Fury said he was fitter than ever after announcing a comeback fight in Manchester on June 9 after an absence of more than two-and-a-half years.
The Briton has signed up with promoter Frank Warren, who presented him at a news conference on Thursday, on a multi-fight deal but an immediate opponent at the Manchester Arena has yet to be named.
The British Boxing Board of Control (BBBC) suspended the unbeaten 29-year-old’s licence in 2016, citing anti-doping and medical issues. That suspension was lifted in January subject to medical clearance and Fury told reporters he was ready to return and “claim what is rightfully mine”.
“I’m the fittest I’ve ever been. Timing, reflexes, everything is better than it’s ever been. I kid you not,” he added. “Everything is still there. I’m 29 years old, coming into the prime of my life, I’m stronger and faster, holding more muscle mass than ever. I’m more confident looking at the competition.”
Fury has not fought since beating the previously undefeated Wladimir Klitschko to claim the IBF, WBA and WBO world titles in November 2015.
He was subsequently stripped of the IBF belt and relinquished the WBA and WBO ones.