Fiji’s human rights body awaits response on teenager’s assault claims

Fiji Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Commission director Ashwin Raj. Picture: FT FILE

Fiji’s Human Rights and Anti-Discrimination Commission says it is “awaiting a response” from the Police and the military on the alleged assault five months ago of a teenager by two men claiming to be army officers.

The 16-year-old boy was allegedly interrogated at the Republic of Fiji Military Forces (RFMF) Queen Elizabeth Barracks, Nabua, over an alleged anti-government social media post on September 23 last year.

Commission director Ashwin Raj said a team of investigators had travelled to an outer-island on 30 October, 2019, and conducted preliminary interviews with the parents of the boy.

Read the full report in today’s edition of The Fiji Times.

More Stories