Fijians set to entertain NRL

Isaac Lumelume. Picture: SUPPLIED.

With the National Rugby League competition to kick off on May 28, three Vodafone Fiji Bati players look set to get the nod for Melbourne Storm as they prepare to take on the Canberra Raiders with the National Rugby League Telstra Premiership set to resume this month.

Suliasi Vunivalu, Tui Kamikamica and Isaac Lumelume resumed training with the Storm pack at their home ground at AAMI Park in Melbourne earlier this week.

The Storm currently sits fourth on the overall table after an 18-4 win against the Manly Sea Eagles and scrapping past the Cronulla Sharks 12-10.

The Raiders featuring Semi Valemei head into the match up, third on the table after a convincing 24-6 win domination of the Gold Coast Titans and hammering the Auckland Warriors 20-6.

The 21-year-old Labasa-born winger was playing for the Caloundra Sharks and elevated into the Raiders’ Top 30 after an outstanding season with the club’s Jersey Flegg side in 2019.

He represented Fiji in the World Cup Nines in 2019. Fiji Bati coach Brandon Costin believes that all nations are eagerly looking forward to the resumption of the NRL competition.

“All nations would love to see the NRL comp start as soon as possible,” Costin said.

“It would be great for all players to be playing as the RLWC 2021 gets closer and closer,” Costin said he was still maintaining contact with Bati players in the NRL competition after watching their progression. I am talking with the players online and checking them.

“They are all following programs from their clubs so they are keeping fit and healthy.”

More Stories