Fiji Times, Red Cross launch nationwide appeal
24 February, 2016, 12:00 am
THE Fiji Times and Fiji Red Cross Society Severe TC Winston National Appeal was officially launched in Suva yesterday.
And The Fiji Times gave $10,000 to start the appeal.
Fiji Red Cross director Filipe Nainoca acknowledged the gift, saying he was happy the appeal had begun.
He noted the $US100,000 ($F213,219) given by the Chinese Government on Monday and other individual gifts received so far. Mr Nainoca said they received inquiries from overseas missions and banks based in the country.
He said the Fiji Disabled People’s Association was willing to work with the society to help those living with disabilities affected by the cyclone.
Fiji Times Ltd HR manager and Fiji Sixes secretary Joana Dawainavesi said they had begun receiving gifts in cash and kind.
“We have an ANZ account # 1313354, which is open to members of the public for gifts to help the thousands of people across Fiji who have been affected by Cyclone Winston,” Mrs Dawainavesi said.
Fiji Times Ltd marketing co-ordinator Annie Robinson handed over the company’s donation.