Fiji FA seeks amendments
7 October, 2014, 12:00 am
THE Fiji Football Association will be tabling a motion at the Ordinary Congress in Suva tomorrow which will not allow any newcomer to contest for the president’s post.
A circular submitted by Fiji FA CEO Bob Kumar to all the association delegates on September 20, 2014 stated motions to amend or add articles to the Fiji FA Statutes as per Article 30 of the Fiji FA Statutes.
These motions were approved at the Fiji FA Board of Control (BOC) meeting on September 13, 2014.
The major motions of the six that will be tabled at the Congress include the proposed amendments to the qualification for candidates for the office of the president (Article 40.3).
According to the circular, the current version of Article 40.3 states “Only full members of Fiji FA may propose candidates for the office of president.
“Members shall notify the general secretariat in writing of the name of a candidate for the presidency of Fiji FA at least 14 days before the date of Congress”.
There is no certain criterion in the current version for candidates contesting for the president’s post.
However, the proposed Article 40.3(a) according to the circular states “To be eligible for nomination as a candidate for the office of the president, the candidate shall have served Fiji FA as its vice-president for at least three years of the last five years prior to the date of the Congress at which the election will take place.
“40.3(b) (New) — The candidate has not been found guilty of breaching the FIFA/OFC/Fiji FA code of ethics.
“40.3(c) (New) — A candidate for the office of vice-president shall have served at district associations either as a president or vice-president or as an executive committee member for at least three years of the five years prior to being nominated as a candidate for the position of the vice-president”.
Kumar yesterday told Times Sport that these motions would be discussed and debated at the Congress before the final decision on the proposed amendments was made.
Meanwhile, Fiji FA yesterday announced that former national age group and Rewa rep Iosefo Verevou’s suspension term had been reduced.
Fiji FA CEO Kumar said Verevou’s fine had been reduced to $3360 but he remains suspended from all levels of football until July 31, 2015.
“Rewa Football Association had filed for arbitration against the decision made on Verevou. Arbitration heard the case last weekend at Fiji FA headquarters in Vatuwaqa and after consideration released the reduced suspension term and fine,” Kumar said in a statement.
Verevou was suspended from all levels of football along with few players for disciplinary reasons while being part of the Vodafone Fiji under-20 side preparing for the Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) U20 World Cup playoffs earlier this year.