Fiji FA adamant, sponsors make stand
2 April, 2020, 1:36 am
THE Fiji Football Association is adamant to complete the 2020 season despite the uncertainty regarding the effects that the COVID-19 pandemic will have in the country.
Sporting competitions have been banned by the government until further notice.
Fiji FA chief executive officer Mohammed Yusuf revealed that the parent body will not be getting any sponsorship funds until the end of December.
Yusuf said they would resume with the 2020 Vodafone Premier League once the government gave the green-light for the sporting competitions to start.
He said the Vodafone Fiji FACT scheduled to be played at the ANZ Stadium in Suva early next month will most likely be deferred.
“Once the ban is lifted we would resume with the VPL, the Vodafone Youth League and the Vodafone Women’s League,” Yusuf said.
“We will obviously have to reschedule the Fiji FACT. If the government says to start sports from June 1 then the Fiji FACT will be held in the third week of June. “If there is a further delay then there will be a cancellation of the tournament because we will have no choice under the situation.” The Fiji FACT has never been cancelled since the inaugural event in 1991. Nadi will defend the title having beaten Suva 2-1 at Churchill Park, Lautoka last year. Yusuf said the cancellation of the Fiji FACT will be a major loss in revenue. “Our sponsors have already indicated that there will be no more sponsorship funds,” he said. “This has been suspended until December.” Rewa leads the VPL with 12 points followed by Suva with 8 points, Lautoka with seven points, Labasa and Nasinu with 4 points each, Ba with three points and Navua at the bottom of the table with one point. The two top teams at the end of the competition will represent Fiji at the 2021 Oceania Football Confederation (OFC) Champions League.