Fava wakes from 11-hour slumber

WALLABIES forward Scott Fava today stunned doctors by waking from an 11-hour “black-out” with no adverse affects from a sickening head knock that silenced 50,000 Commonwealth Games fans at the Telstra Dome.

The big-name rugby sevens recruit was released from Royal Melbourne Hospital after numerous tests cleared him of damage from a fierce but legitimate tackle which sparked on-field convulsions.

Fava awoke the next morning in intensive care with no recollection of the previous night’s sickening incident when he collided with a Fijian shoulder (Viliame Satala) to lose consciousness before the back of his head hit the turf heavily.

“I woke up at 8.30 this morning from a long slumber,” the Western Force and Test back-rower told reporters at a Melbourne hotel.

“I woke up and thought ‘what the hell am I doing in a hospital?’.”

Beside him in ICU was wife Sarah, who ran on to the field and followed him off in tears.

“The two things that I asked my wife (was) did we win and did the Western Force (playing NSW) win?,” he said.

“There were two negatives there that made me pretty disappointed.”

Otherwise, Fava, who believed medication he was given to treat his fit contributed to his long sleep once he regained consciousness during the night, was a happy and relieved man.

“I feel quite good actually,” he said. “I don’t have a headache or any symptoms that correspond with last night.”

A distraught Sarah talked her way on to the field with her father to join him before leaving behind the medicab which ferried him to a waiting ambulance.

“My first instinct was just to want to get next to him and to let him know I as there to support him,” she said today.

“I’ve never seen Scotty knocked out or in that sort of state so it was scary but as much as it is upsetting you have to be strong for him and think positively because it’s the best way to get him through it.”

Still hopeful he might return to play for the Force on Saturday against the Bulls, Fava said medical staff were stunned he has suffered no short-term amnesia.

He will be further assessed by Force medical staff.

“I have been told what happened and most people’s description was they have never seen the Telstra Dome so silent in their whole life,” he said.

“I woke up this morning and had no recollection. I remember running out against Fiji and tackling some Fijians and that was about it.”

More Stories