Family survives without power
16 May, 2016, 12:00 am
A POWER outage may frustrate most Fijians but for a family of 11 at Naila, Bau in Tailevu, living without electricity is an ordeal that they had to deal with for the past five years and counting.
The children of Patemosi Cava had to endure the past years studying and doing their school homework using candlelight.
Mr Cava said on April 25, 2011, a team from the then Public Works Department (PWD) was doing roadworks along Ratu Kadavulevu Rd when their truck offloading gravel accidently pulled down a main domestic power connection.
He said because of this, the connection from the supporting pole, which linked the electricity wires to the house, was also pulled down with the main electricity pole.
This was the beginning of a nightmare for the family who are still without electricity until today.
And the sad thing is that upon several attempts to have their electricity reconnected their request had fallen on deaf ears.
Mr Cava said he had raised his complaints to the PWD Luvuluvu depot, Nausori Government Service Centre, two Central Division Commissioners as well as the Prime Minister’s office.
He said officials from the PWD and the Commissioner’s office had been to their residence and inspected the area and up until today there hadn’t been any feedback.
The 50-year-old said they used up to $4 a night buying candles ever since they were without electricity.
Before they used to pay $3 a week for their electricity bill.
He said this had really affected them financially, knowing that he was only a farmer and that his childrens’ studies had been disrupted.
The father of nine is once again pleading for assistance especially to the Government if their electricity could be restored for the opportunity of his children to study and improve their future prospect.