Duo ordered back in remand
22 September, 2018, 11:23 am
MAGISTRATE Liyanage Wickramasekara yesterday ordered the officer-in-charge at the Suva Remand Centre to ensure that Jone Vakarisi and Tevita Bulanaivalu were transferred back to the centre.
He made the ruling after Mr Vakarisi and Mr Bulanaivalu informed the court that they had been transferred to the Suva Corrections Centre after an incident last weekend.
Mr Vakarisi claimed that after a snap check last week on Saturday, the officer-in-charge at the Suva Remand Centre had sounded the emergency alarm and they were transferred to the corrections centre.
The duo are charged with five others with one count each of theft, two counts each of criminal intimidation, eight counts each of resisting arrest and one count each of damaging property.
Mr Wickramasekara had also summoned the officer in charge to court. During the hearing, the officer-in-charge said during the raid, the group had refused to allow the officers to enter their cells to conduct snap checks.
He said the Commissioner of Corrections then made an order for the two accused persons to be transferred to the Suva Corrections Centre.
The two men refuted the claim that was made by the officer in charge and said if that was the case, then they should have transferred all of them to the Suva Corrections Centre.
The case has been adjourned to September 28.