COVID-19: Staggering 121 positive cases reported; new clusters identified
16 June, 2021, 9:57 pm
Fiji has today reported another staggering 121 new cases marking another single occasion of three-digit case numbers recorded.
Ministry of Health permanent secretary Dr James Fong said 61 of those cases are linked to the existing following clusters:
- Korovou – 1
- IMT – 8
- CWMH – 26
- Tramline, Nawaka, Nadi – 5
- Nawajikuma, Nawaka, Nadi – 1
- Kinoya – 1
- Navosai – 1
- Sakoca – 4
- Naitasiri – 3
- Wailoku – 4
- Nasinu Police Barracks – 4
- Navy – 3.
Dr Fong said a new cluster had been identified within the Rewa Emergency Operations Centre, possibly linked to the Vunimono cluster – and there are two new cases to report for this cluster.
He said a new cluster was also at the Town House hotel – where CWMH and IMT staff are being accommodated.
“There are 19 cases within this cluster – likely linked to the CWMH or IMT clusters,” Dr Fong said.
“Eleven cases have been identified as primary contacts of earlier cases, and the respective response teams are determining the cluster link.”
Dr Fong said the remaining cases are from the following areas that are under investigation to determine whether they have links to other cases:
- Nasevou St, La
- Nakoba St, Lami
- Qauia St, Lami
- Naituni, Rewa
- Qima Settlement, Nadi
- Feeder Rd, Tacirua
- Wainivula Rd
- Cunningham Stage 4
- Naduri in Navua
- Ura Place
- Freshet, Makoi
- Bau St, Nausori
- Toga, Nausori
- Nabitu, Nausori.
Additional facts provided this evening:
- 21 COVID-19 cases have recovered
- 1043 active cases in isolation
- 1373 cases recorded during the outbreak that started in April 2021
- Total of 1443 cases recorded in Fiji since the first case was reported in March 2020
- There have been 388 recoveries and 5 deaths due to COVID-19
- Seven COVID-19 positive patients have died from pre-existing non-COVID-19 related illnesses.
Source: MOH PS Dr James Fong; COVID-19 update, June 16 (2021)