COVID-19: Fiji reports 1301 new cases overnight; 9 deaths in two days
29 July, 2021, 9:40 pm
Fiji reported 1301 new cases of COVID-19 for the 24-hour period that ended at 8am today and 9 deaths recorded in two days.
Ministry of Health permanent secretary Dr James Fong said 293 cases were from the Western Division and 1008 cases from the Central Division.
Dr Fong said the deaths were reported on July 26 and July 17.
These are the details:
- An 83-year-old man from Lautoka. He presented to the Lautoka Hospital in respiratory distress. He reported having a cough and shortness of breath for five days. His condition worsened at the hospital and he died 3 days after admission (27/07/2021). He was not vaccinated;
- A 72-year-old woman from Samabula who died at home on the 26/07/2021. She was not vaccinated;
- A 69-year-old man from Valelevu. He presented to the CWM Hospital emergency department in severe respiratory distress. His condition worsened at the hospital and he died on the same day (25/07/2021). He was not vaccinated;
- A 64-year-old man from Suva who died at home on the 27/07/2021. He was not vaccinated;
- An 84-year-old man from Nabua who died at home on 27/07/2021. He was not vaccinated;
- A 59-year-old man from Nakasi who died at home on the 27/07/2021. He was not vaccinated;
- A 91-year-old woman from Suva who died at home on the 27/07/2021. She was not vaccinated;
- A 68-year-old woman from Wailoku who died at home on the 27/07/2021.She was not vaccinated; and
- A 75-year-old man from Raiwaqa who died at home on the 26/07/2021. He was not vaccinated.
Dr Fong said there had been 15 more deaths of COVID-19 positive patients.
However, he added their deaths had been classified as non-COVID deaths by their doctors who had determined their deaths were caused by serious pre-existing medical conditions and not COVID-19.
Statistics provided as at 8am, July 29 (2021):
- 1301 new positive cases
- 245 new recoveries reported since last update
- 20,200 active cases (17,774 active cases – Central Division; 2426 active cases – Western Division)
- 27,427 cases recorded during outbreak that started in April 2021
- 27,497 cases recorded in Fiji since first case was reported in March 2020, with 6951 recoveries
- 9 deaths reported on July 26-27
- 15 deaths of COVID-19 positive patients (not classified as COVID deaths)
- 227 deaths recorded due to COVID-19 in Fiji
- 225 of those deaths recorded during the outbreak that started in April this year
- 7 day rolling average of COVID-19 deaths per day – 8
- 119 COVID-19 positive patients died from the serious medical conditions they had before they contracted COVID-19 (not classified as COVID-19 deaths).
Source: Ministry of Health PS Dr James Fong, COVID-19 Update, July 29 (2021)