COVID-19: Fiji: Positive cases spike to 873 overnight; minor among reported deaths
12 July, 2021, 8:46 pm
Positive COVID-19 cases have spiked yet again for Fiji with 873 new cases and 3 deaths reported for the island nation in the 24-hour period that ended at 8am today.
Ministry of Health and Medical Services permanent secretary Dr James Fong says the first death is a 56-year-old woman from Vatuwaqa in Suva who died at home.
Dr Fong said the woman’s family reported that she had been feeling unwell for a week.
He said the woman had already received her first dose of the vaccine in early July.
Dr Fong said the second COVID-19 death was a 87-year-old woman from Nasinu.
He said the woman had presented to the FEMAT field hospital in severe respiratory distress.
“Her condition worsened at the FEMAT field hospital and she died two days after admission,” Dr Fong said.
“Her family reported that she was feeling unwell with cough and fever prior to her presentation. She was not vaccinated.”
Dr Fong said the case that was previously under investigation had now been classified as a COVID-19 death.
“This is a 15-year-old from Colo-i-Suva who was declared dead on arrival by the attending medical officer at the Raiwaqa Health Centre. This means that she either died at home or on her way to the health facility.
“Her family reported that she had been feeling unwell for two days. Her symptoms included a cough, shortness of breath and chest pain. She was not vaccinated; she was not in the target population of people 18 years and over that are eligible to receive the vaccine.
“There have been five more deaths of COVID-19 positive patients. However, these deaths have been classified as non-COVID deaths by doctors. Doctors have determined that their deaths were caused by serious pre-existing medical conditions and not COVID-19.”
Some stats provided this evening (July 12 (2021):
- 873 new cases
- 3 deaths
- 58 deaths due to COVID-19 recorded in Fiji
- 56 of those deaths recorded during the outbreak that started in April 2021
- 26 COVID-19 positive patients who died from the serious medical conditions that they had before they contracted COVID-19; these are not classified as COVID-19 deaths
- 132 new recoveries reported since the last update
- 9310 active cases
- 11,315 cases recorded during the outbreak that started in April 2021
- 11,385 cases recorded in Fiji since the first case was reported in March 2020, with 1991 recoveries.
Source: Ministry of Health PS Dr James Fong, COVID-19 Update, July 12 (2021)