Council cautions growers

THE Sugar Cane Growers Council is again urging sugarcane farmers to refrain from burning their crops.

This follows yet another case of indiscriminate burning in Buabua, Lautoka on September 18.

About three and half acres of ratoon crop were destroyed in the fire.

Sugar Cane Growers Council CEO Sundresh Chetty said while the response from farmers had been positive, some isolated cases were still being reported.

“We’ve told farmers to refrain from any kind of burning because of the current weather we’re going through but there are some who are still burning their farms,” he said.”

The Western Division Fire Control Taskforce has been formed to contain indiscriminate burning.

Mr Chetty said a team from the council would be sent to Buabua to establish the cause of the fire.

More Stories