Cholera death toll hits 1500
3 July, 2017, 12:00 am
ADEN – The death toll from a major cholera outbreak in Yemen has risen to 1500, Nevio Zagaria, the World Health Organization’s (WHO) representative in Yemen, said on Saturday, and appealed for more help to put an end to the epidemic.
Yemen has been devastated by a 27-month war between a Saudi-led coalition and the armed Iran-aligned Houthi group.
Speaking at a joint news conference with representatives of the United Nations Children Fund (UNICEF) and the World Bank, Mr Zagaria said that had been about 246,000 suspected cases in the period to June 30.
The WHO said the outbreak had reached the halfway mark at 218,798 cases.