Cairo peace talks
19 August, 2014, 12:00 am
ISRAEL and the Palestinians have resumed peace talks as the expiry of a five-day ceasefire in Gaza looms.
As the negotiating teams gathered for indirect talks in Cairo, Israeli PM Benjamin Netanyahu said Israel would make no concessions on security.
Hamas, which controls Gaza, is demanding an end to the Israeli and Egyptian blockade of the territory.
More than 2000 people, mostly Palestinians, have been killed since the Gaza conflict began on July 8.
Israel started its offensive in response to militant attacks, including rocket fire, from Gaza.
The current ceasefire came into effect on Thursday — building on a previous three-day truce.
But it was due to expire at midnight (21:00 GMT) yesterday.
Reports say an Egyptian plan would see the current ceasefire being extended, allowing both sides to resume talks on the most difficult issues at a later date.
At his weekly cabinet meeting, Mr Netanyahu was uncompromising on the issue of Israeli security.
“The Israeli delegation in Cairo is acting with a very clear mandate to stand firmly on Israel’s security needs,” he said.
Israel wants to see the complete demilitarisation of Gaza.
Egyptian and Palestinian sources have previously said that Israel has indicated it may relax parts of the blockade on Gaza.