Bati party in doubt
30 November, 2017, 12:00 am
THE Fiji National Rugby League is trying to map out the logistics to hold a small celebration for the Vodafone Fiji Bati’s achievements at the 2017 World Cup.
The Kevin Naiqama-skippered Fiji Bati team created history by defeating world number two New Zealand 4-2 in the quarter-final to reach its third consecutive semi-final.
Fiji Bati bowed out of the tournament after losing to champion Australia 56-6.
FNRL deputy chairman Peni Musunamasi said there had been talks of a small celebration for the players for their big achievement.
Musunamasi said they were trying to get the Government and the sponsors involved.
“They deserve a celebration,” he said.
“We are trying to confirm things such as the travel arrangements and the accommodation.”
FNRL’s sponsorship with Vodafone Fiji ends this weekend.
Musunamasi said they were negotiating with Vodafone Fiji for their continued support.
“It is through their support which has brought us where we are today,” he said.
“It is the off-season now. The Fiji Bati’s next commitment will be at a 9s tournament which will be held in Australia from February 23-24.
The tournament will feature Commonwealth nations competing at Redcliffe’s revamped 10,000 capacity Dolphin Stadium, in the lead-up to the Gold Coast 2018 Commonwealth Games.
Musunamasi said the make-up of the national side would depend on the availability of the overseas-based players.
He said overseas-based players’ release would be an issue because the National Rugby League (NRL) players would be undergoing pre-season training.