Bail extended for 8 Fijian correction officers charged with assault and death of inmate

From left, Apisai Naqamu, Isei Rakaso, Nemani Vasuvulagi, Waisea Sadranu and Piata Raikoso making their way to the Suva courthouse on Tuesday, April 06, 2021. They are part of the 8 men charged in relation to the death of a serving inmate. Six of the eight men are suspended corrections officers and two are no longer working at the Fiji Corrections Service. Picture: JONACANI LALAKOBAU

Two former and six suspended Fiji Corrections Service officers charged with the assault and death of Seremaia Momo in 2019 appeared before the High Court in Suva today.

Isei Rakaso, Pita Raikoso, Josefa Boletakibureta, Waisea Sadranu, Josefa Satini,  Joji Raqamate, Nemani Vasuvulagi, and Apisai Naqamu appeared before High Court judge Justice Vinsent Perera.

The men were charged for assault causing actual bodily harm, acts intended to cause grievous harm, and complicity in the suicide of another.

Momo was a serving prisoner in 2019.

The alleged incident happened at the Naboro Minimum Corrections Centre.

It is alleged that on February 20, 2019, the officers assaulted Momo and procured his suicide.

State lawyer Shirley Tivao indicated to the court that the matter was for first call before the High Court, and told the court that the prosecution had already filed and served the information to the defence lawyer in the matter.

Defence lawyer David Toganivalu told the court that he had already filed a notice of alibi for Mr Vasuvulagi and Mr Naqamu.

The men had their bail extended.

The case has been adjourned to April 29, 2021.

More Stories