At A Glance
15 April, 2018, 12:00 am
* 1755 Samuel Johnson’s A Dictionary of the English Language published in London.
* 1865 Abraham Lincoln dies nine hours after he is shot attending the play Our American Cousin at Ford’s Theatre in Washington.
* 1912 RMS Titanic sinks at 2:27am off Newfoundland as the band plays on.
* 1923 Insulin becomes generally available for diabetics
1945 Franklin D Roosevelt buried in grounds of Hyde Park home.
* 1948 First Jewish-Arab military battle. The Arabs are defeated.
* 1955 Ray Kroc opens first McDonald’s Inc fast food restaurant in Des Plaines, Illinois.
* 1969 North Korea shoots at US airplane above Japanese sea.
* 1981 Janet Cooke says her Pulitzer award-winning story about an eight-year-old heroin addict is a lie. The Washington Post relinquishes the Pulitzer Prize based on a fabricated story.
* 1988 Meteorite explodes above Indonesia.
* 2013 Boston Marathon bombings: 3 people are killed and 183 injured after two explosions near the finish line.