Another Fijian dies from COVID-19

IMAGE: FT ONLINE

Another Fijian has lost his life to COVID-19, taking the national death toll to 674.

Health Ministry permanent secretary Dr James Fong made the announcement yesterday in a COVID-19 update for the 48 hours to 8am Friday.

He also announced 62 new cases – 34 were recorded on Thursday and 28 on Friday.

“The COVID-19 death is of a 78-year-old man from Navua,” Dr Fong said.

“He was admitted to the CWM Hospital COVID-19 ICU ward with severe respiratory distress.

“Sadly, he died 16 days later (26/10/2021).

“He was not vaccinated.”

He also said there were three deaths of COVID-positive patients, however, they were classified as non-COVID deaths because of serious pre-existing conditions.

Dr Fong said in total, there had been 566 deaths of COVID-positive patients, but their deaths had been attributed to the serious medical conditions they had before they contracted COVID-19.

“The Ministry of Health continues to monitor the outbreak using indicators such as daily case numbers, hospitalisations, test positivity, and deaths.

“There is a downward trend across all indicators of the COVID-19 epidemic in Fiji, indicating a positive response to our overall COVID containment and mitigation response.”

More Stories