Actor criticises bid to move asylum seekers
4 November, 2017, 12:00 am
SYDNEY – The 600 asylum seekers barricaded inside an abandoned detention centre in Papua New Guinea without food or running water are Australia’s “shame”, Oscar-winning actor Russell Crowe said on Thursday, offering to house six of the detainees.
For two days, the men in the Manus Island Centre have defied efforts by Australia and Papua New Guinea to close the camp, saying they fear violence from the local community if they are moved elsewhere.
The stand-off was a “disgrace,” the star of the films “Gladiator” and “Les MisÃ©rables” told his 2.7 million followers in a series of messages on social network Twitter.
“I believe I could house and find jobs for six,” Crowe tweeted.
“I’m sure there’d be other Australians who would do the same.”
The stand-off has prompted condemnation, particularly from bodies such as the UN, though Crowe’s intervention could spotlight the issue at a time when some detainees are showing the ill-effects of having no food for two days.
A spokesperson for Australia’s Immigration Minister Peter Dutton refused to comment.
She said there had been no change in the Government’s policy of refusing to allow any asylum seekers arriving by boat to reach Australian shores, and detaining them instead in camps in PNG and Nauru in the South Pacific.