6000 residents benefit from HOMES-CARE
2 June, 2018, 6:00 pm
THE HOMES-CARE program in Nadi was distributed to more than 6000 people yesterday afternoon, with another large turnout expected at Prince Charles Park today. Many of the applicants braved the western heat, lining up and waiting hours to be served yesterday. Votualevu resident Prem Prasad said the wait was worth it. “I’ve been waiting since yesterday (Thursday) and once I got my number, they advised me that I should come today (yesterday),” he said. “A lot of people are complaining about the long line and the wait is too long but they still come for this assistance. “It’s easy to see that people will make that sacrifice even though there is a lot of complaining in the beginning.” Another Nadi resident, Kavita Singh, said floodwaters had entered her home during TC Josie. “I’ve been able to recover some of my belongings but there are still things like my TV and fridge that I can’t replace. I’m hoping to buy those items with this help,” he said. Ministry of Women, Children and Poverty Alleviation permanent secretary Dr Josefa Koroivueta said the ministry was able to control the crowd with better planning. “We haven’t completed the assistance in Nadi so I would not be able to confirm exactly how much we’ve given out so far here but we expect it to be bigger than Lautoka and Ba,” he said.