$5m in security lease bonus paid to 20 landowning units

Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama hands over a cheque to a member of the mataqali Ketenaratu for the security lease bonus payment. Picture: FIJI GOVT

Fijian Prime Minister Voreqe Bainimarama handed $5million in security lease bonus payments to 20 landowning units at the Tropik Woods headquarters in Drasa, Lautoka today.

He said thousands of Fijian families depended directly on the continuity of the country’s pine industry and this was the reason Fiji Pine refused to give up, even in the face of unprecedented adversity.

“That’s why the board and management team at the Fiji Pine Group took quick action, putting together business continuity plans to ensure our landowners and workers would be insulated from this global headwinds as much as humanly possible,” Mr Bainimarama said.

The Prime Minister told more than 400 landowners that they had adopted an innovative payment system where 30 per cent of the bonus would be paid through the equal distribution mechanism, while the remaining 70 per cent would be paid by way of income-generating and community-building projects.

More Stories